White House Field Trip
submitted by erika1975 16045 days ago (via studentadventuretours.com)
History of The White House The White House was designed by Irish architect John Hoban and began construction in 1792. John Adams was the first president to move into the White House in 1800. During the War of 1812, the White House was set on fire by British troops. Architect Hoban revisited to rebuild the house for President James Monroe to return to in 1817. From Hoban’s original design and renovations and additions to The White House over the next two centuries, the structure reflects Palladian and Neoclassical architectural styles. While Monroe and President Andrew Jackson made additions to the House (the South and North Porticos) from 1824 through 1829, major renovations did not begin until 1902, when President Theodore Roosevelt recruited the help of famous New York architectural firm McKim, Mead, and White. To make more room for the first family, the presidential offices were moved from the second floor to the Executive Office Building (now known as the “West Wing”). Roosevelt’s rectangular office in the West Wing (elaborately called “Roosevelt’s Room”) now serves as a meeting room. In 1909 his successor, President William Howard Taft, recruited architect Nathan C. Wyeth to design a new presidential office. Named after its oval shape, the Oval Office has served as the official office of the President since 1934. From Wyeth’s original design and renovations over the next two decades, the Oval Office reflects baroque, neoclassical, and Georgian architectural styles.